Note: While you’ll lose ongoing dialog when shifting from WhatsApp to Signal, you possibly can export a duplicate of your conversations and hold it as a reference within the chat with the identical individuals. We have proven the steps in our information linked above.
How to Back Up and Restore Signal Chats
Since Signal is extremely excessive up on the safety ladder, the app doesn’t again up any of your knowledge by default. And, even when it does, backups are native in your system and never on Signal’s servers or on cloud providers like Google Drive or iCloud. Both of these are good issues.
In this text, we are going to stroll you thru how one can again up and restore your Signal chats on an Android system, and how one can handle your native backups. As at all times, you should use the desk of contents beneath to skip over to any related part.
How to Enable Signal Chat Backup in Android
As talked about above, by default, Signal retains backups disabled in your telephone. That means, if you wish to backup your Signal chat to make sure you don’t lose your knowledge, or in case you’re switching to a brand new telephone, you’ll first should allow backups. Here’s how.
- Open the Signal app and faucet on the ‘profile’ icon on the highest left. Tap on ‘chats and media’.
- Scroll down and faucet on ‘chat backups’ after which faucet on ‘Turn on’.
- Signal will present you a passphrase on a pop up. Make certain you be aware this down since you won’t be able to revive your backup with out the codes. Tap on ‘enable backups’ when you’ve famous the passphrase.
- Now, you possibly can faucet on ‘Create backup’ to create new backups everytime you need. This may also present you while you created the final backup in your telephone.
How to Restore Signal Backup in Android
Now that you’ve got backups created in your telephone, let’s check out learn how to restore these. There are two causes it’s possible you’ll wish to restore a Signal backup in your telephone.
Either you’re re-installing Signal on the identical telephone, otherwise you’re shifting to a brand new smartphone completely. In each these instances, so long as you’re switching from Android to Android, you possibly can simply restore your Signal backups. Let’s check out how you are able to do this.
Restore on Same Smartphone
If you’re restoring your Signal chat backup on the identical Android telephone, right here’s what it is advisable to do.
- First, it is advisable to find the place the backup is saved. You can discover this by going to ‘Settings -> chats and media -> chat backups’ and seeing what the backup folder is talked about as. In my case it’s “/storage/emulated/0/Signal/Backups/”
- Use any file supervisor app and go to this location, and duplicate the file that has a reputation like “signal-year-month-date-time.backup”. Move this to a pc, or a storage system for safe-keeping.
- Now re-install Signal in your telephone. Give it the required permissions and Signal will routinely detect the native backup in your telephone. Simply faucet on ‘restore backup’.
- Enter the passphrase you famous down when the backup was created and faucet on ‘restore’.
Restore on New Smartphone
If you’re switching to a brand new smartphone, right here’s what it is advisable to do.
- Copy the Signal folder out of your previous telephone into the /Internal Storage/ listing of the brand new telephone.
- Next, set up Signal in your new telephone and provides it the required permissions. It will routinely detect the backup.
- Tap on ‘restore backup’, enter the passphrase on your backup and faucet on ‘restore’.
Q. Can I restore Signal backup with out the passphrase?
No, the passphrase is sort of a key for the backup. If you neglect or misplace this passphrase, you won’t be able to revive the backup. Make certain you be aware down the passphrase someplace earlier than continuing with enabling backups in your telephone.
Q. Can I switch Signal chats between Android and iPhone?
Signal chats can solely be transferred between Android -> Android, iPhone -> iPhone, iPhone -> iPad, and so forth. You can’t switch chats between Android and iPhone.
Q. Signal backup says ‘registered too often’ when restoring?
If Signal exhibits the ‘registered too often’ error when restoring backups, simply look ahead to an hour or so and take a look at restoring once more.
Easily Backup and Restore Signal Chats
So that’s how one can again up and restore your Signal chats on an Android system. As talked about earlier than, Signal doesn’t again up your chats to the cloud, which is nice for safety. Moreover, chat backups are protected by an encrypted key which ensures that your backups can’t be learn by anybody until they’ve entry to that key. So just be sure you hold the important thing in a secure place.
So, do you want making Signal chat backups in your telephone? Let us know within the feedback down beneath. Also, in case you’re dealing with any points, you possibly can shoot your questions right here as effectively and we will certainly attempt to enable you out. Also, in case you are nonetheless on the fence, try our article on Signal vs Telegram vs WhatsApp, to see if the swap is well worth the trouble or not.