Note: Using Google Chrome as an alternative of Firefox? Here is how one can change default search engine is Google Chrome.
Change Default Search Engine in Firefox on Computers and Smartphones
You can change the default search engine in Firefox simply on all main cell and desktop platforms. Using our tutorial, you cannot solely set default search engine on Firefox, but in addition take away the default search engine if you would like. So with out additional ado, let’s take a look at how we are able to change the default search engine in Firefox on computer systems and smartphones.
Change Search Engine in Firefox on Windows, Mac and Linux
The course of to vary the default search engine in Firefox stays the identical on Windows, Mac and Linux. I’m utilizing Windows for this demo, however the menus, choices and settings will probably be nearly equivalent for Mac and Linux as nicely.
1. Change Default Search Engine
- Open Firefox in your Windows PC or Mac. In the search bar on the top-right, click on on the magnifying glass and choose ‘Change Search Settings’.
- Now click on on the drop-down menu beneath ‘Default Search Engine’ and take your choose from among the many out there choices.
2. Remove a Search Engine
- From the ‘Settings’ > ‘Search’ menu choice described above, you possibly can take away a search supplier. To do this, choose the goal search supplier beneath ‘Search Shortcuts’ and click on on the ‘Remove’ button.
Note: You may entry search engine choices by clicking on the ‘hamburger’ menu (three horizontal strains) on the top-right after which choosing Options > Search.
3. Add a New Search Engine
- To add a customized search engine in Firefox, first go to an internet site that provides an OpenSearch search engine (we’ll use Startpage.com for example). The search bar will instantly present a ‘+’ check in a inexperienced bubble. Now both click on on that bubble  or on the three dots  within the handle bar.
- In both case, you’ll get the choice so as to add the present web site as a search supplier. Just click on on that choice and also you’ll have added a brand new search engine to Firefox.
- Many search engines like google additionally supply extensions (add-ons). You can add them from the official Mozilla web site by going to Options > Search as described in  above and clicking on ‘Find More Search Engines’.
4. Restore Built-in Search Engine
- To restore a built-in search engine in Firefox, go to Options > Search as described in  above. Under ‘Search Shortcuts’, click on on the button that claims ‘Restore Default Search Engines’. (Note: The button will probably be greyed out for those who haven’t eliminated any search engine from Firefox within the first place).
Change Default Search Engine in Firefox on Android
The course of of adjusting the default search engine in Firefox in your smartphone is comparatively simple. Here’s the way you do it on Android:
1. Change Default Search Engine
- Launch the Firefox app. Now faucet on the ‘More’ button (three dots) and select ‘Settings’.
Note: The ‘More’ button will probably be within the bottom-right nook by default, however you possibly can configure it to be on the top-right, like I did.
- Under ‘General’, faucet on ‘Search’. Then within the subsequent web page, choose the search engine of your selection (Google is the default search supplier in Firefox throughout all platforms).
2. Add Search Engines
- To add a brand new search engine, first faucet on ‘+ Add Search Engine’ from Settings > Search as described above. Then fill within the search string for the search supplier of your selection (look it up on-line). Finally, faucet on the ‘Tick’ signal on the top-right to avoid wasting your entry.
- I added Startpage as a brand new search supplier, and Firefox now affords it to me because the default search choice.
3. Remove Search Engines
- To take away a search engine in Firefox, go to Settings > Search as described earlier. Now faucet on the ‘More’ button (three dots) subsequent to your goal search supplier and hit ‘Delete’.
Change Default Search Engine in Firefox on iPhone and iPad
- Tap on the hamburger menu (three horizontal strains) on the bottom-right nook of the display screen (the menu will probably be on the high proper for those who’re utilizing an iPad).
- Now go to ‘Settings’ > ‘Search’.
- Your present default search engine will probably be clearly marked. You can select one other from the checklist by tapping on the default search supplier after which deciding on a distinct one from the checklist.
- You may even add a customized search engine by electing the ‘Add Search Engine’ choice and following directions.
Search Like a Pro on Computers, Smartphones and Tablets
Now that you know the way to vary your default search supplier in Firefox, go forward, make the change from Google. I’d ideally counsel you choose a privacy-focused service like DuckDuckGo or Startpage, however the prospects are limitless. And if it’s privateness that you simply search, take a look at how you need to use keyboard shortcuts to delete your looking historical past on any browser.
If you might be searching for one thing particular, additionally take a look at our articles finest individuals search engines like google and reverse picture search engines like google. Either manner, when you add a customized search engine in Firefox, tell us which search engine you selected and why.