Change Your Computer’s Name in Windows 11 (2021)
There are a number of methods to alter the identify of your Windows 11 PC. You can at all times use the Command Prompt, PowerShell, or System Properties to rename your PC. But beginning with Windows 10, Microsoft launched a GUI technique of renaming Windows computer systems from the System Settings. We will let you know about all these strategies to present you a complete understanding of how one can change your pc’s identify in Windows 11 on this article.
Things to Remember Before Changing Your Computer’s Name in Windows 11
You can change the identify of your Windows 11 pc with ease, however there are some things that you just want to remember earlier than you get began. Here they’re:
- Firstly, it’s worthwhile to log in utilizing an Administrator account to have the ability to rename your PC.
- Secondly, you may solely use customary characters within the PC identify, together with the letters A-Z (each uppercase and lowercase), the numbers 0-9, and the ‘hyphen’ (-) image. The identify might not include areas or particular characters, reminiscent of: `[email protected]#$%^&*, and so on.
- Thirdly, the identify of your Windows 11 PC can’t exceed 15 characters.
- Finally, the identify can’t consist totally of numbers. It can, nevertheless, include solely letters of the alphabet or a mixture of the 2.
Note: Irrespective of the tactic you select, you will have to restart your PC in each case for the identify change to mirror all over the place. Without a restart, the brand new identify will solely present up in just a few locations and never throughout the system.
Method 1: Rename Windows 11 PC through Settings
Windows 11 affords you a straightforward technique to change the identify of your pc from inside the Settings menu. Here’s the way you go about it:
- Open Settings (use Win +I keyboard shortcut) in your Windows 11 PC and choose the “System” tab in case you are not there already. Now, click on on “Rename” just under your present PC identify on the high.
- In the pop-up window that opens, kind a brand new identify in your PC, and click on “Next“.
- Finally, ensure you save all of your work after which select “Restart Now” to use the identify change.
Note: The Rename button doesn’t work for this feature in Windows 11 Dev Preview construct 22000.71.
Method 2: Rename Windows 11 PC from About Section
There’s one other technique to change your pc’s identify from inside the Settings. Here’s how that works:
- Go to Settings -> System as described earlier. Now, scroll all the way down to the underside on the right-hand pane and click on on “About“.
- On the following web page, click on on the “Rename this PC” button subsequent to your PC’s present identify.
You will then be offered with the identical “Rename Your PC” pop-up window as seen within the earlier technique. As defined already, enter your required PC identify on the pop-up, click on on “Next“, and choose “Restart Now” to implement the identify change.
Method 3: Rename Windows 11 PC through System Properties
Before the GUI technique(s) have been launched in Windows 10, the best technique to change your pc identify in Windows was to make use of the System Properties choice. That technique continues to be obtainable within the newest model of Windows. Here’s how you utilize it:
- Open the “Run” dialog field (Windows key + R), kind
sysdm.cpl, and hit Enter to open the System Properties window.
- Make positive you’re on the “Computer Name” tab, after which click on on the “Change” button on the backside.
- Now, kind in a brand new identify in your Windows 11 pc and click on “OK”.
- You will then see a small pop-up saying, “You must restart your computer to apply these changes”. Click on OK.
- Next, click on the “Close” button to shut the primary System Properties window.
- Finally, on the following pop-up window, click on “Restart Now” to reboot your PC and apply the identify change.
Method 4: Rename Windows 11 PC Using Command Prompt
The Command Prompt has lengthy been the go-to vacation spot for geeks to implement many adjustments in Windows. While it’s now being deprecated by the Windows Terminal, the Command Prompt stays a vital a part of Windows 11. You can nonetheless use it to rename your PC, and right here’s how:
- First off, open Command Prompt in Admin mode. To try this, seek for “cmd” (with out quotes) within the Windows search bar and choose “Run as Administrator“.
- Now copy+paste the next command into the Command Prompt window:
wmic computersystem the place identify="%computername%" name rename identify="<new name>". Finally, hit “Enter“. You will get a message saying, “Method execution profitable”. The new identify will come into impact when you restart your pc.
Note: Replace <new identify> within the command with the brand new pc identify and retain the quotes. See the screenshot above to clear your doubts.
Method 5: Rename Windows 11 PC Using PowerShell
Finally, we come to the PowerShell technique of fixing your pc identify in Windows 11. It can be as straightforward because the Command Prompt technique and doesn’t require a complete lot of technical know-how. Here’s the way you do it:
- Open Windows PowerShell in Admin mode. To try this, seek for “powershell” within the Windows Search bar and choose “Run as administrator“.
- Now copy+paste the next command and press Enter:
Rename-Computer -NewName "xyz". Restart your PC for the change to take impact.
Note: Like the Command Prompt technique, substitute “xyz” with the identify of your alternative.
Rename Your Windows 11 PC in a Few Simple Steps
So yeah, you may see that the method to alter your pc’s identify in Windows 11 is very easy, whichever technique you select. Now that you know the way to try this, try another Windows 11 tutorials, together with how one can flip off notifications in Windows 11 and how one can take screenshots in Windows 11. Finally, in the event you hate automated updates as a lot as I do, try how one can cease auto-updates in your Windows 11 PC.