Convert MBR to GPT Without Data Loss on Windows 10 (2021)
This information is to strictly convert MBR to GPT with none knowledge loss. You not have to make use of Diskpart and erase the entire exhausting disk to transform the partition desk. We might be utilizing an official device from Microsoft referred to as MBR2GPT for this tutorial. It’s a command-line device, however the course of is simple. By the way in which, you too can use this technique to make your Windows 10 PC appropriate with Windows 11. So with out additional ado, let’s dive in.
1. Your PC should assist UEFI to have the ability to convert MBR to GPT with out knowledge loss on Windows 10. If you’ve an older pc and the BIOS solely helps Legacy mode, you’ll be able to’t make the most of this technique.
2. All Bitlocker-encrypted volumes should be suspended for the conversion to happen.
3. Your PC should be working Windows 10 model 1703 or later. It’s obligatory to your PC to be working the Creators Update or later as a result of then you have already got Microsoft’s MBR2GPT device in your system.
4. Partitions can’t be greater than 3.
1. Before we start, you have to to confirm some data. Press the “Windows + X” keyboard shortcut and open “Disk Management“.
2. After that, examine the disk quantity within the left nook. Generally, it’s
0. However, if in case you have linked a number of exhausting disks and wish to convert a specific exhausting disk, make an observation of the precise disk quantity.
3. Next, right-click on “Disk 0” and open “Properties“. If you’ve got one other disk, right-click on it and choose “Properties”.
4. Here, change to the “Volumes” tab and search for the “Partition style”. If it’s MBR, we certainly have to convert the MBR partition to GPT. And if it shows GPT, we don’t have to do something.
5. Next, press the Windows key as soon as and seek for “System data“. Open it.
6. Under “System Summary”, search for “BIOS Mode“. If it’s UEFI, your PC is supported, and you may go forward with the method to transform MBR to GPT on Windows 10. In case it reads Legacy, you’ll have to observe this information to alter the firmware mode to UEFI. With that mentioned, I counsel even UEFI customers boot into their BIOS to seek out the right UEFI menu. You may also should carry out this motion after the conversion anyway. This manner, you’ll be sure the place to search for the right settings web page, submit the conversion.
Change Legacy Mode to UEFI in BIOS Firmware
1. Restart your Windows 10 pc, and whereas the pc boots up, press the BIOS key. Every pc has a distinct BIOS key, and also you would possibly have to seek for it on the web.
Note: For instance, HP laptops typically have F10 because the BIOS key. You want to seek out the BIOS key to your PC from the web. It needs to be one among these — F1, F2, F3, F9, F10, Esc, and many others. Users who’ve custom-built PCs additionally want to seek out the BIOS key primarily based on the motherboard producer.
2. Once you might be within the BIOS, transfer across the totally different menus and search for “UEFI” or “Legacy”. The choice needs to be beneath “Advanced Settings”, “Boot Mode”, or “System Configuration”, relying in your OEM. On some PCs, disabling “Legacy Support” permits UEFI. Just be sure UEFI isn’t greyed out, and Legacy is disabled.
Note: If you don’t discover any point out of UEFI, sadly, you’ll be able to’t convert the MBR partition to GPT in your Windows 10 PC.
3. Now, press “F10” and hit enter to save lots of and exit. F10 is mostly reserved for “Save and exit”, however the important thing could differ to your pc. We counsel you examine it proper on the BIOS footnote. Your pc will now restart.
4. Once the pc boots up, open System Information once more and examine the BIOS Mode. It needs to be displaying “UEFI”. Now, you might be prepared to maneuver to the following step.
Convert MBR to GPT Without Data Loss on Windows 10
Note: Before we proceed forward, I strongly suggest backing up all of your precious and private recordsdata and folders. While the tactic is tried and examined, you by no means know when issues can go south, particularly whereas coping with Windows. So go forward and make a backup. You can discover ways to create a full Windows 10 backup by way of the linked article.
1. Now that you’ve verified all the knowledge and backed up your knowledge, it’s time to transform MBR to GPT with out knowledge loss in your Windows 10 PC. Press the Windows key as soon as and sort “command immediate“. From the search consequence, click on on “Run as administrator” to open Command Prompt.
2. On the CMD window, paste the beneath command and press enter. Here, I’m assuming your disk quantity is
0. If it’s one thing else, change the disk quantity accordingly. This command is to validate all of the configurations.
mbr2gpt /validate /disk:0 /allowFullOS
If you get the “Validation completed successfully” message, you’ll be able to proceed forward. If you get any error, be sure your PC is configured to the right settings, as I’ve talked about above.
3. Next, paste the beneath command, and it’ll convert your Windows 10 PC from MBR to GPT disk with none knowledge loss. Repeating once more, be sure to alter the disk quantity if you’re doing this course of for a distinct disk quantity. If you get a hit message, properly, congratulations. You have efficiently transformed MBR to GPT partition type and with none knowledge loss. But wait, there may be another step to carry out.
mbr2gpt /convert /disk:0 /allowFullOS
4. At the top, you will notice a message saying, “Before the new system can boot properly, you need to switch the firmware to boot to UEFI mode!” So, restart your pc and boot into the BIOS, and alter the firmware mode to UEFI. You can observe the steps detailed within the part above to alter the “Legacy mode” to UEFI from BIOS. Keep in thoughts that your PC gained’t boot until you make this variation.
5. Now, boot up your Windows 10 PC, and confirm the partition type as we did above. Press the “Windows +X” shortcut and open “Disk Management”. Right-click on the specified disk -> Properties -> Volumes. Here, the “Partition type” ought to point out GPT. That’s it. You are accomplished.
Convert MBR to GPT Disk on Windows 10 PCs Without Losing Data
So that’s how one can convert the partition type from MBR to GPT with out erasing any of your knowledge on Windows 10. The better part about this technique is that you just don’t have to create any bootable stick. On a stay Windows 10 PC, you’ll be able to pull off this conversion with ease. Anyway, that’s all from us. If you wish to discover ways to use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool or allow the brand new Eco mode on Windows 10, take a look at our linked articles proper now. And in case you face any points, tell us within the remark part beneath.