There are all types of the explanation why you might need to create a bootable macOS Big Sur USB set up drive. For occasion, for those who typically must carry out updates or clear set up macOS on a number of Macs, having a bootable installer drive could make your process fairly simple. Not to say, it will probably additionally assist for those who ever want to downgrade from macOS 12 Monterey beta and return to the steady macOS Big Sur model. With that mentioned, let me present you how one can create a macOS bootable installer drive.
How to Create a Bootable macOS Big Sur USB Install Drive (2021)
First factor first, be sure to have a USB flash drive with no less than 16GB of space for storing. A USB drive with a USB-C connector needs to be a most popular selection contemplating that each trendy Mac comes with USB-C. Both by way of pace and effectivity, SanDisk’s flash drives are top-notch. You can decide the Sandisk 64GB Ultra Flair for $11 and the Sandisk 64GB Ultra Dual Drive Luxe for $13.89 on Amazon.
Be warned that you will want to erase your drive and format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You can get it achieved within the Disk Utility app positioned within the Applications -> Utilities folder. Use the desk under to learn to create a bootable macOS Big Sur USB set up drive.
Download macOS Big Sur Installer Software
Another important requirement is the macOS Big Sur installer software program you can obtain from the Mac App Store.
- Launch the Mac App Store and seek for macOS Big Sur.
2. Now, click on on the “Get” button.
3. Next, the Software Update system desire will open. Click on the “Download” button to start out downloading the macOS Big Sur installer software program.
After the obtain is full and the installer launches, be sure that to not click on on the Continue button. You can stop the installer by urgent the Command+Q shortcut. Then, head over to the Applications folder to examine the “Install macOS Big Sur” app, which you need to use to make the bootable drive.
Use Terminal to Make a Bootable macOS Big Sur Drive
The Terminal makes it straightforward to make an exterior drive a bootable macOS installer. So, even for those who aren’t fairly accustomed to it, you may get the job achieved with ease.
1. To get began, join the US drive to your Mac. It’s with noting that on this information, I’ve used “Drive” because the identify of the exterior drive. You can change “Drive” to the identify of your drive for ease of use. Then, launch Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) app. You can use Spotlight to launch it rapidly.
2. Now, choose and duplicate the next command:
sudo /Applications/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Drive -- /Applications/Install macOS Big Sur.app
3. Next, paste the copied code in Terminal in your Mac. Make positive to vary “Drive” to the identify of your USB drive. Then, hit the Return key.
4. If requested, enter your system password and hit Return. Terminal might warn you that your exterior USB drive will likely be erased. You must sort “Y” and hit Return to proceed.
5. Now, an alert might seem saying, “Terminal would like to access files on a removable volume.” Click on “OK” within the pop-up window.
Terminal will purge your USB drive after which copy the Big Sur installer file to your drive. The complete course of might take a number of minutes. In the top, you will notice a message saying your drive is prepared to be used within the Terminal. You may use the Terminal to create the macOS Big Sur ISO file in order for you.
How to Boot macOS Big Sur from the USB Installer Drive
Once you created the bootable macOS Big Sur installer drive, you may boot your Mac from it with ease. We are actually very near downgrading from macOS 12 beta to macOS 11 Big Sur. Follow the steps under:
- Make positive the exterior drive is plugged in your Mac. Then, restart your Mac and maintain down the Option/alt key. You must press down the important thing when the Apple emblem first seems on the display and till the Startup Manager opens up.
2. When the Startup Manager seems, choose your exterior drive. Now, your Mac will boot into Recovery mode, and a window with 4 choices will seem.
3. To set up Big Sur and preserve the information intact, choose Install macOS Big Sur. However, if you wish to begin over and erase the information, go to “Disk Utility” after which set up macOS Big Sur.
If you go into the Disk Utility, format your laborious drive, after which stop the app. It will take you again into the Recovery mode window, the place you may carry out the OS set up.
Update the macOS Installer Drive
At occasions, you might must replace the installer drive to make use of it to scrub set up macOS Big Sur in your Mac machine.
- Connect your exterior drive after which restart your Mac and maintain down the Option key whereas the Mac boots (once you see the Apple emblem on the display).
2. Next, your Mac will present the Startup Manager with the obtainable boot drives. Now, click on on the exterior drive and hit Return. Then, a pop-up will seem saying, “A software update is required to use this startup disk. You can update now or select another startup disk.” Click the Update button.
When the replace begins operating, your macOS system will restart. Keep in thoughts that the replace will take a number of minutes to finish.
Change Mac Security Setting to Use an External Startup Disk
macOS comes with a safety setting to disallow exterior startup disk. If it’s enabled, you will want to vary the safety setting to permit booting from exterior USB or detachable media drives.
1. To get going, restart your Mac. After that, maintain down Command+R throughout the boot course of to place your Mac into Recovery Mode.
2. Now, your Mac will boot with a macOS Utilities window. Click on the “Utilities” menu and select “Start Security Utility“.
3. Next, an alert will present up saying, “Authentication Needed. You will need to authenticate as an Administrator to change the boot security settings.” Then, click on on “Enter macOS Password“, and enter the person identify and password.
4. Under the Allowed Boot Media part, examine the button for “Allow booting from exterior or detachable media“. Then, restart your Mac and comply with the steps above in addition from the USB drive.
Create and Use a Bootable macOS USB Install Drive
Well, that’s all there’s to it! So, that’s how one can create and use a bootable macOS Big Sur USB set up drive. The similar course of works for older-gen macOS variations as nicely. With a bootable USB set up drive at your disposal, it turns into easy to scrub set up macOS in your Mac machine. If it’s a must to carry out updates or clear set up OS most of the time, this needs to be the popular strategy to go.
By the best way, do you’ve any associated suggestions or questions? If sure, be at liberty to share it within the feedback part under.