How to Downgrade from macOS 12 Monterey to macOS 11 Big Sur (2021)
Bear in thoughts that downgrading your Mac will solely erase macOS 12 out of your exhausting drive. Therefore, be sure to again up your Mac when you don’t wish to lose your information, applications, paperwork, and different essential knowledge. You can use an exterior exhausting drive or a cloud storage service like DropBox, iCloud, or OneDrive to save lots of your information. Once you might have secured your knowledge, let’s transfer forward with the information!
Make Sure to Allow Booting from External Media on Macs with T2 Chip
If you might be utilizing a 2018 or newer MacEbook Pro, MacEbook Air, or Mac mini, make sure you allow booting from exterior media. If you might have enabled the Startup Security Utility in your Mac, guarantee that you’re allowed to make use of a bootable exterior drive.
- First off, restart your Mac.
2. Now, maintain down Command+R keys when the Apple brand seems on the display. It will put your Mac into Recovery Mode.
3. Next, click on “Utilities” within the Menu Bar and select Startup Security Utility.
4. Next up, that you must enter your firmware credentials after which verify the field to Allow booting from exterior media.
Note: The firmware password is totally different from the executive password and Apple ID password. Make positive you bear in mind the proper password to entry the Startup Security Utility.
Create a Bootable macOS Big Sur USB Install Drive
Before downgrading your Mac and erasing macOS 12, you will have to obtain macOS 11 from the App Store. Ensure that you’ve got a duplicate of macOS Big Sur on an exterior exhausting drive for the simplest technique to downgrade. To get it achieved, observe our full information to create a bootable macOS Big Sur USB installer drive.
Erase Your Hard Drive
Now, it’s time to erase the exhausting drive earlier than reinstalling macOS Big Sur. Again, I’d remind you of backing up your Mac earlier than performing this radical step.
- To get began, be sure your Mac is linked to a secure web connection. Now, click on on the Apple icon within the higher left nook and select “Restart” from the drop-down menu.
2. Next, maintain down Command+R keys. Make positive to press down the keys till your pc reboots. It will put your pc into Recovery Mode.
3. Next up, click on on “Disk Utility” within the OS X Utilities selector. After that, click on on Continue to proceed additional.
4. Choose your Startup Disk after which click on on the “Erase” button on the prime of the window.
5. Now, enter a brand new title for the exhausting drive corresponding to Macintosh HD. Once the drive has been erased, its title will change to the one you might have simply chosen. If your Mac is utilizing HFS+, be sure to decide on Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the format listing.
However, in case your Mac is utilizing APFS, make sure you select APFS from the format listing. If Scheme is obtainable, select GUID Partition Map. Finally, click on on “Erase“.
When the method is full, you may stop the Disk Utility from the drop-down menu within the higher left nook of the display to return to the OS X Utilities selector.
Reinstall macOS Big Sur on Macs that Came with macOS Big Sur Preinstalled
It’s price mentioning that in case your Mac gadget got here with macOS Big Sur pre-installed, you may set up macOS Big Sur with ease. Simply restart your Mac whereas holding down the Shift+Option+Command+R combo to enter Internet Recovery Mode after which set up the macOS 11.
Reinstall macOS Big Sur on Macs that Didn’t Come with macOS Big Sur
If your Mac gadget didn’t include macOS Big Sur, observe the steps beneath:
- Make positive your Mac is linked to the web. Now, plug within the bootable exhausting drive into your Mac. Then, click on on the Apple menu within the prime left nook of the display and select “Restart” from the drop-down menu.
2. Now, maintain down the Option/alt key whereas your pc restarts (hold urgent the Option key till the Apple brand disappears after rebooting).
3. Next, you’ll get the choice to pick out a startup disk. Choose your bootable USB drive with macOS Big Sur from the listing of startup disk choices.
4. Next up, click on on “Continue” within the set up window.
macOS Big Sur will set up like a typical replace. Do word that you will want to conform to the licensing phrases earlier than the software program reboots in your Mac.
Restore Settings from Time Machine Backup
Using a latest backup of your Mac saved to Time Machine, you may convey again the saved settings with ease. Follow the steps beneath to revive a latest Time Machine backup after you downgrade from macOS 12 Monterey to macOS Big Sur.
- Ensure that your Mac is linked to a secure web connection. After that, click on on the Apple menu on the prime left nook of the display and select Restart.
2. Now, maintain down Command+R keys as quickly as you hear the startup chime. Make positive to maintain holding the keys till your pc reboots.
3. Next, select “Restore from Time Machine Backup” within the OS X Utilities selector and click on on “Continue“.
4. Next, click on on Continue once more. Then, select the Backup supply for the place your Time Machine backup is saved.
5. Next up, click on on Continue after which select the newest macOS Big Sur backup on the drive. After that, click on on Continue.
That’s it! Your Mac will now begin restoring from the Time Machine backup after which reboot. As the entire course of will take some time, you will have to attend patiently.
Downgrade from macOS 12 Monterey and Go Back to macOS Big Sur Safely
So, that’s how one can downgrade from macOS 12 Monterey and return to macOS 11 Big Sur. Beta variations of software program typically include bugs and surprising points. That’s why it’s at all times higher to put in them on a secondary gadget. This means, even when you run into any surprising points, your work doesn’t get affected. Anyway, let me know your ideas on macOS 12 beta and what kind of points you confronted.