Use Apple Maps on Windows, Linux and Android
DuckDuckGo makes use of Apple Maps as an alternative of Google Maps as its default mapping software program. Which means you’ll be able to swap from Google to DuckDuckGo to entry Apple Maps in your web-browser on just about any related gadget, no matter its make or working platform. There are some apparent limitations, however the trick works on all in style web-browsers, together with Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera and Safari.
Use Apple Maps on Windows PCs
- Open any web-browser in your Windows PC and go to DuckDuckGo.com. Now seek for any location and click on on Maps on the prime of the web page.
- To get driving or strolling instructions to that location, click on on the Directions button just under the ‘related images’ part.
- You also can view native companies on a map, however you’ll must share your location utilizing the map pin icon  within the top-right nook of the map. To swap to satellite tv for pc imagery, click on on the Satellite inset  on the bottom-left nook of the map.
Note: If you’re feeling uncomfortable sharing your actual location, be taught how one can pretend your geo-location on any web-browser, together with, Chrome, Firefox and Edge.
Use Apple Maps on Android Smartphones and Tablets
You can use the identical technique to make use of Apple Maps on Android units as effectively. I’m utilizing the privacy-focused Firefox Focus (free) for the demo beneath, however the course of is an identical on Chrome, Edge and the usual Firefox.
- Visit DuckDuckGo on any cellular browser and seek for a location. Next, click on on Maps on the prime to entry Apple Maps. Click on Open Map to see the placement on Apple Maps or choose Directions on the following web page to see a route mapped out for you.
- As on Windows, you’ll be able to see instructions for strolling in addition to driving. Do word that to make use of the ‘Navigate’ function, you’ll have to use the Apple Maps app on an iPhone. On an Android gadget, you may be requested to open the hyperlink on Google Maps.
Limitations When Using Apple Maps on Non-Apple Devices
Using DuckDuckGo will allow you to get a style of Apple Maps on any non-Apple gadget, together with Windows, Linux and Android. However, the expertise is much from good. While you continue to get to make use of its full mapping potential, the expertise is nowhere close to as full and feature-filled as Google Maps. Firstly, there’s no built-in assist for route planning, which implies you’ll be able to’t actually use this service for pre-planning a visit and plotting your route prematurely.
What’s extra, the browser-based interface lacks the interactivity that you just get on Google Maps, Bing Maps, or HERE Maps. Finally, you additionally gained’t get details about public transportation or visitors, each of that are of paramount significance for utilizing a digital mapping service circa 2021. While Apple does supply all of that in its mapping service, you’ll need to make use of the official Apple Maps app on iPhones and iPads to entry that.
DuckDuckGo Brings Apple Maps to All Non-Apple Devices
While Google Maps is the gold customary in mapping companies, many swear by Apple Maps, which has come a great distance since its launch in 2012. Now that you understand how to apply it to any non-Apple gadget utilizing the privacy-focused DuckDuckGo search engine, give it a try to see when you discover it extra user-friendly than Google Maps. Once you strive it out, tell us about your impressions about it by leaving a remark down beneath.