With no lumberjack olympics, darts, Australian Rules Football or kickboxing to broadcast, ESPN now turns to esports to save lots of itself this afternoon.
Beginning at midday on ESPN2, the Worldwide Leader will start a 12-hour esports programming marathon that features two stay occasions: Formula 1’s “Virtual Grand Prix” that includes 4 real-life drivers, and the primary spherical of the NBA 2K Players Tournament, additionally that includes real-life NBA stars.
The block additionally contains prior tournaments for Rocket League, Apex Legends and Madden NFL, no stranger to the community. The schedule (all occasions EDT):
- Noon: Madden NFL 20 Classic — This is a re-run of final 12 months’s match, held Aug. 30 to Sept. 1 in Arlington, Texas.
- 1 p.m.: Madden NFL 20 Club Championship — Another repeat, of the Dec. 17-20 match held at Electronic Arts headquarters, with a $703,000 prize pool on the road.
- 2 p.m.: Madden NFL 20 Challenge — Held Jan. 30 to Feb. 1, that is the final of three tournaments whose winner strikes on to the Madden Bowl — which was initially scheduled for April 23 to 25. But on March 14, Electronic Arts introduced it was suspending all stay competitions “until the global coronavirus situation improves.” Competitions and broadcasts the place gamers are on-line and remoted from each other could proceed, nevertheless.
- 3 p.m.: F1 Esports Virtual Grand Prix — This is a stay occasion that includes drivers Charles Leclerc (Ferrari), Lando Norris (MacLaren), Alex Albon (Red Bull), Antonio Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo) Nicholas Latifi and George Russell (each Williams) racing in F1 2019 at Australia’s Albert Park circuit. Formula 1 canceled the Australian Grand Prix, the 2020 season’s debut race, the day earlier than it was to run, and postponed the subsequent six races on the schedule — together with what ought to have been this weekend’s inaugural Vietnamese Grand Prix. This is the second Virtual Grand Prix for the reason that championship was placed on maintain.
- 4:30 p.m. Season 8 Rocket League World Championship — This match closed out Rocket League’s 2019 season in December. Viewers will get NRG Esports versus Renault Vitality earlier than a stadium crowd in Madrid, Spain.
- 6 p.m. NBA 2K Players Tournament — Back to stay competitors. The first spherical of the match wraps up with 4 matches: Montrezl Harrell (Los Angeles Clippers) vs. Domantas Sabonis (Indiana); Donovan Mitchell (Utah) vs. Rui Hachimura (Washington); Devin Booker (Phoenix) vs. Michael Porter Jr. (Denver); and Andre Drummond (Cleveland) vs. DeMarcus Cousins (Los Angeles Lakers). On Saturday, Derrick Jones, Jr. (Miami), Deandre Ayton (Phoenix), Trae Young (Atlanta), and Patrick Beverley (Clippers) all gained to advance to the second spherical. The NBA 2K Players Tournament is a single-elimination, 16-player match on Xbox One, whose finals shall be held April 11. The grand prize is a $100,000 donation, supporting coronavirus reduction efforts, to the winner’s charity of selection.
- 10 p.m. EXP Apex Legends Pro-Am — ESPN staged this charity occasion in July 2019, which donated $25,000 to The V Foundation for Cancer Research. The three-player squads comprise athletes, celebrities, streamers and esports execs.