Commenting on the aggressive panorama, Research Analyst, Debasish Jana, shared, “Samsung continues to lead the overall TV market but the emerging smart TV segment is being cornered by the newer players. Smart TV was the fastest-growing segment, up 25% YoY. The smart TV market in India was mostly driven by brands like Xiaomi, Samsung and emerging tail brands such as TCL, Vu and others, which are leveraging their growing channel presence both online and offline to target the new users and upgrade users. Non-smart TV grew by 7% YoY in 2019. While Samsung, LG, Sony are experiencing a YoY decrease in their non-smart TV business, brands like BPL, Sansui and others are still banking on the non-smart TV segment that mainly caters to the rural market, B2B segment or a second bedroom TV in many cases.”
Mr. Jana, additional added, “Brands like Xiaomi, TCL, VU have been expanding over the last few years taking on incumbents such as Samsung. LG, Sony, and Panasonic. Furthermore, 2019 was marked by the entry of smartphone brands such as Motorola, Nokia, OnePlus with their Smart TVs looking to build a connected device story complementing their smartphone devices. These new-age brands from Xiaomi to OnePlus are offering high specifications, some unique features at highly affordable price-points targeting urban users via e-commerce channels. This has led to some serious price-cuts by competition during the year to match the value proposition from these Chinese brands leveraging the cost-effective e-commerce channels.”
The Counterpoint report breaks down the efficiency of TV manufacturers in India as follows.
Samsung recorded a 6% YoY progress in 2019. This progress is usually coming from its good TV portfolio which noticed 5% YoY progress and contains N5000, N7000, R5000 and R7000 fashions. In the Rs 50,000 and above value section, Samsung leads the market with a 40% market share. Its non-smart enterprise, nonetheless, declined.
Xiaomi is the chief within the good TV section with 40% YoY progress in 2019. This progress was pushed by the favored fashions, resembling Mi TV 4A, 4A Pro and 4C Pro sequence TV in each 32 and 43-inch sizes.
LG’s share has taken a success as a result of decrease than anticipated efficiency within the non-smart TV market. For LG, 32- and 43-inch TVs carried out effectively in 2019 with fashions like LJ573D, LK526B, LM560B, LK616B, and so forth. LG is rising strongly within the sub Rs 30,000 section. In 2019, LG launched its Nano cell Smart TV with ThinQ AI know-how in India.
Sony’s general TV shipments declined 14% YoY. Smart TVs, however, helped Sony maintain a few of its markets with 3% YoY progress. The X80G, X90G and A8F sequence turned fairly well-liked for Sony this yr.
TCL made 110% YoY progress this yr. Its Smart TV enterprise grew much more with a 186% YoY enhance because of its inexpensive good TVs resembling S6500, P6 and P8 sequence.
Other manufacturers like Kodak and Thomson made a powerful 40% YoY progress out there whereas VU and BPL have recorded 16 and 35% progress respectively.
LED TVs nonetheless account for greater than 90% of the market in India, OLED and QLED TV the remaining 10%.
Android is main the Smart TV market in relation to the working system (OS) with a 30% market adopted by Samsung and LG’s homegrown TV platforms Tizen and WebOS respectively. The Indian smartphone market is dominated by Android and which will affect shopper’s Smart TV buy choices.
The report concludes by saying that “with the popularity of OTT platforms and robust Internet connectivity, the Smart TV market will continue to grow in India. The budget-oriented Smart TV sector will dominate the market as the majority of Indians are likely to taste the water with less costly Smart TV before making any high-value purchase decision”.
The high quality of funds Smart TVs in India has additionally seen enchancment. 2018 and 2019 had been populated with Android Smart TVs operating on AOSP (Android Open Source Platform). AOSP is not the most effective expertise in relation to a Smart TV expertise however manufacturers like Xiaomi, TCL, iFFALCON, and extra moved rapidly to supply customers an Android TV expertise. LG’s WebOS and Samsung’s Tizen additionally noticed presence within the funds section.
Plenty of these funds TVs provide 4K decision together with HDR assist, however the HDR efficiency of those TVs has been lacklustre. With TVs just like the Nokia TV and lately introduced Kodak TV providing 400 nits of brightness and Dolby Vision assist, HDR capabilities of those funds HDR TVs will get higher, making it harder for many to spend money on a flagship TV.